keeping it real

Hey, my book got a nice review from Kirkus!*  Thanks Kirkus! Though it seems the full review won't be available to non-subscribers until the book is actually released, here's a brief excerpt:

An account of medicine, marriage and motherhood, executed with style and enough humor to offset the not-always-happy endings for patients...An upbeat memoir by a woman still imbued with the idealism to serve, but also to be there for her husband and two sons.

I'm especially happy because it seems that the reviewer keyed into the one of the main things I want to get across, which is that I really tried hard to write a first-person medical memoir that was ultimately upbeat, and occasionally irreverent hopefully without tilting towards cynical. Lots of medical non-fiction I've read can either be academic and detached, bitterly humorous, or difficult to read because they're kind of ceaslessly grim. I tried, and hoped I succeeded (though you all can tell me in May, I guess) in writing an account of med school and residency that keeps in mind that I was a human being training in medicine, not that I was a medical trainee that just so happened to be a human being.

Anyway, thanks again to Kirkus for the lovely review!

(P.S. Yes, I know the cover image on the Kirkus site is still the original cover image. We are working on getting it updated to the new hotness.  Thanks!)