tripping to the light linktastic

First off, you guys knew there was virtually no way that I couldn't respond to this Op-Ed in The New York Times from this weekend right?  In case you hadn't read it, a quick excerpt to whet your appetite:

Students who aspire to go to medical school should think about the consequences if they decide to work part time or leave clinical medicine. It’s fair to ask them — women especially — to consider the conflicting demands that medicine and parenthood make before they accept (and deny to others) sought-after positions in medical school and residency. They must understand that medical education is a privilege, not an entitlement, and it confers a real moral obligation to serve.

I recently spoke with a college student who asked me if anesthesiology is a good field for women. She didn’t want to hear that my days are unpredictable because serious operations can take a long time and emergency surgery often needs to be done at night. What she really wanted to know was if my working life was consistent with her rosy vision of limited work hours and raising children. I doubt that she welcomed my parting advice: If you want to be a doctor, be a doctor.

(Italics and bold face I added for emphasis, but the words of the actual article are reproduced verbatim.)  So! Thoughts? I had a few. And I posted them here. I hope this doesn't count as some sort of cop-out substitute for an entry, but as both article probably highlight, the role of a physician parent is fairly busy, and there's only so much time in the day for writing, as much as I might love to do it.

For those somewhat less interested in the issue of out-of-home-working parenthood, here is a video from this weekend. As you can see, Cal went from being somewhat nervous in the water to staging his own underwater Cirque du Soleil.




And finally, remember to check out the awesome JetPens and book giveway in my guerilla marketing contest! Don't stress, your entry doesn't have to be anything XXX-treme, it could be as simple as starting a Twitter word-of-mouth campaign or sharing a link to the book on your Facebook page! Just e-mail me with a link to your entry to officially enter the contest! (This is just so I can keep track of everyone.) They're really good pens, guys. And it's a pretty decent book too, on an issue--the balance of medicine and parenthood--that clearly needs to be shared and discussed.




That about sums it up.  Hope you had a good Monday!