want to feel better about your parenting? read this!

Before I had kids (and therefore still ensconced in a phase of youthful hubris wherein I thought I knew everything) I swore I would never let my kids watch TV. Certainly as a Peds resident, I well knew the AAPs recommendation that no kid under the age of two years should watch any TV at all, and after that, if I let my kids watch TV, it would only be high quality educational programming that we would watch together. Like "Masterpiece Theater" or "Nova," maybe "Mystery!" but only if the crimes were tasteful or at least of the charming, small English village, Miss Marple variety.

My kids watch TV. Sometimes they probably watch too much TV. I do still try to control what they watch and in what quantities--it's mostly PBS/BBC nature shows or innocuous Nick Jr. fare, and I stay away from channels with too many external commercials (though I am aware that Nick Jr. is ostensibly commercial free, at least with respect to sugary cereals or fad toys, the number of internal ads they run for their own shows and tie-ins is obscene)--but still, my kids watch TV, and much more than I thought I'd let them watch before I actually had kids. And maybe that's not good.

But if there was no TV, I would never be able to take a shower, or cook dinner, or write stupid blog posts like this one. And until I can see the grey matter liquefying and oozing out of their ears like so much protoplasm, I'd like those "I don't even own a TV" people to come over to my house and show me what harm it's doing. Or at least take care of my kids so I can eat dinner for ten minutes after work while standing behind the sink.




Look, I even got a bean bag couch for the basement, a sure sign that I've given up the fight. (See also: two boys that like to dive bomb the furniture. Why even try? Bean bags, Berry Berry Kix and "Yo Gabba Gabba" for everyone!)