in which I either save you money or get you to spend more of it

Hey, can I give you a completely unsolicited, unsponsored product recommendation, if for no other reason than to get that gory cord photo down below the fold?   OK then.

Like many people, I like the aesthetic of American Apparel clothes for kids--for babies in particular, it seems like the only place to get plain, bold-colored (meaning non-pastel) clothes not cluttered with pictures and logos for various things.  The only problem is the price.  I mean, $11.50 for a onesie?  Are you shitting me?  I love my kid, and you know, it's nice that they're American made and everything, but...no.

Then, when I was tooling around the internet looking for some plain T-shirts for our freezer paper stencil projects, I found this company called Rock Bottom T-shirts, and among many other things (I think they mostly deal in plain T-shirts and sweatshirts and things of that ilk) I noticed that they sell, huh, what do you know, plain, bright-colored onesies not cluttered with pictures or logos.  I thought there was a pretty good chance that they would be made of that really rough, scratchy cotton, but I ordered a few to check them out and no, the cotton is nice and soft, good construction, washes up well, and the colors really are very bright.  I would compare them favorably to those Gerber onesies that you can buy in a big five-pack.  These shrink up the same way, but to my hand, they are softer.  And the colors!  Love the colors, want to lick them.  For the price, I could not say no.  At the time I ordered the onesies, they were actually having a sale, so they were even a full dollar cheaper than they are listed for now (and if you don't need a snap-bottom onesie, these short sleeved lap tees are a good alternative and also at a full dollar cheaper) which means I was able to get this big, admittedly indulgent pile for the price of two American Apparel onesies.




Will they hold up?  The real question is, do they need to hold up?  We're talking about baby clothes, after all.  It's a race to the Goodwill bin anyway, so who cares?

(And yes, when I have things in different colors, I need to order them all ROY G. BIV--I can't help it, it's a disease.)

At Nina's third bili check in as many days, she's down to 13.8, and an ounce shy of her birth weight. We're going to keep letting her get some sun (our house is unfortunately a low-ceilinged ranch devoid of natural light in most rooms, but the kids' playroom was a sunroom in its former incarnatiom so we'll just hang out there as much as possible for the weekend. One more weight and bili check on Monday, after which poit, hopefully, we'll be released on our own recognizance.




(Gorgeous quilt a gift from the lovely and talented Ramona Bates, a plastic surgeon, prominent medical blogger, and quilt-maker extraordinaire.  It must have taken a lot of hard work, thank you so much again!)