hoarders

There's this stroller that Joe keeps getting after me to put on Craig's List, because all it's doing is taking up space in our house, and neither kid has used it for the purposes of transport in the past year and a half at least.  Atlanta, unlike New York, is not a real stroller-intensive city.  There is occasional use for a stroller, like at the zoo or something, but on the whole, Atlanta is so car-centric that it's not like New York, where everyone has their one-hand-fold umbrella stroller that they carry, kid and all, up and down the subway steps.  Especially now that Mack is older, he really doesn't need a stroller, unless we're doing a lot of walking, which, as I think I just noted, just doesn't happen in Atlanta, unless you're the kind of person who just walks to and from places for no reason at all.  (Yes, yes, I know, "exercise.")



I don't want to sell the stroller.  I resisted selling it before we moved, and now that we actually have moved and the stroller is just becoming more and more obsolete, I'm still resisting selling it, though I really can't come up with a real sound reason why.  It's a good stroller.  We got it when Mack was born.  It's a double stroller, the kind where you can put one bigger kid in the front and one smaller kid in the back.  It's a narrow profile, so it's good for cities or supermarkets.  It's a nice bright green color, so it's highly visible to oncoming traffic and to satellites in outer space.  But it's pretty much strictly ornamental at this point.  No one uses this stroller.  It's just sitting there by the front door, holding a pile of winter jackets.  If we sell the stroller, we could use the money we get in exchange for goods and services.

But I still don't want to sell the stroller.

See, the thing is...we have two kids.  I love my two kids.  I really can't imagine having a third kid, nor, honestly, can we really afford it at this point, time or money-wise.  But.  But.  When I think about selling this stroller, selling this perfectly good double stroller, I keep thinking, "But if we have another baby, we can put the baby in the back and Mack can sit up front!"  Are we trying to have a baby at this moment?  Not even close.  But might we, at some point, decide to have a third kid?  I think I'm more open to that option than Joe is at this point in time, but I think we'd both agree that we won't rule anything out.  But given that, given the possibility, wouldn't getting rid of this stroller, this perfectly good double stroller with an infant attachement in the back, be kind of a waste?

Yes, I know I can sell the stroller so it's not sitting in my front hallway taking up space.  I know that if and when we decide to have another baby (and by no means is this a foregone conclusion) we can just get another stroller.  Think of the stroller technology as it might be in the future!  They might have strollers that hover and steer themselves!  Also, robot nannies!  So I should just sell the old stroller we have, right?  The double stroller into which Cal can't even fit anymore.  Which Mack wouldn't even deign to sit in at this point.  I should sell this perfectly nice stroller, take the money, and use it to buy some school clothes for Mack or a new lunchbox for Cal or something that we really need.

But I still don't really want to sell the stroller.  Make of that what you will.